The Cross is now placed at the top of the Tolbooth steps and crowns a tablet which reads –
"This fount, not riches, life supplies. Art gives what nature here denies. Posterity must surely bless Saint Cuthbert's sons who purchased this. Water introduced 23rd March 1762. This tablet renewed 1840."
But lately this original water supply has been turned off and the tpwn's new supply from Loch Whinyeon has been substituted. 1934